30 May, 2006

It's a crazy world that we live in ladies and gentlemen.

(Friendly reminder...hold down the shift key while clicking links, it allows them to open in a seperate window)

Up is down, left is right, north is south, east is west, Tom Cruise is normal (ok that's a reach) and the Detroit Tigers own baseball's best record.

But in an effort to keep away all forms of jinx I plan to stay as far away from this topic as possible, at least for the time being.

In a mild debate with my good friend K Fly a few weeks ago we were discussing the best players in the NBA and I came away with several conclusions.

One, K Fly has to be one of the best people on the earth to argue stuff with. You never know what you are going to hear, you really have to be prepared for anything. And to top it off both of us are stubborn enough to carry arguments on for as long as necessary. Secondly, it is such a pointless argument to have (top NBA players). You can't do it, you just can't. Where do you make the cutoff...top 5 players? 10? It's like naming the Top Ten Family Guy quotes or Ten Worst Skip Bayless columns. No matter how many you have you will leave out some deserving choices.

I tried to do my own top five list and just couldn't do it. It went something like this. Top five players in no particular order...

-Kobe
-LeBron
- Iverson
- Wade
- Garnett

But just as I finished saying the word "Garnett" I went right on into the "There is no way on earth that I can make a top five NBA players list without Tim Duncan and Dirk" tangent. Then K Fly chipped in with, "what about Elton Brand?" comment.

This is where we would lose the casual fans, because most casual NBA watchers would have snickered at that very comment. But I thought about it...and I said to myself, "he's right, what about Elton Brand?" the guy's a complete player that totally dominated this year, and not just that, him and Sam Cassel resurrected the sloth-like Clippers and actually won Elgin Baylor Executive of the Year after he had basically been in hibernation the last 6 seasons.

Oh and by the way, there is this guy named Tracy McGrady...yea he's not bad at basketball.

Then there is the guy that won the last season's MVP award, Steve Nash. I'm sorry, I am still not willing to believe that Nash won this year over Kobe/Dirk/LeBron. John Stockton is probably watching the NBA in disgust thinking, "If only I never played defense once in my career and was able to maintain my offensive skills, I could have been back-to-back MVP." Give Mike D'Antoni coach of the year for creating the system that works so well, but come on, last year was fun and games with Nash winning MVP, but back-to-back???

(While we are on this topic, as President of the "Allen Iverson should be the MVP until he proves otherwise" committee I am calling an emergency public meeting so people can be blessed with my logic. WITHOUT ALLEN IVERSON THE 76ers ARE A MEDIOCRE DEVELOPMENTAL LEAGUE TEAM. As long as Philly is within 5 games of playing .500 basketball, Iverson should be MVP)

Ok, the point is that there are too many elite NBA players to rank the top few. I haven't even mentioned Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Shawn Marion, Darko Milicic or Gilbert Arenas.

(I had to throw a changeup there to keep people on their toes)

So if you ever get in this argument or overhear it in public, just save your energy...because a player is only as good as his surroundings and environment that he is put into. Some guys need the ball 80% of the time, others need a supporting cast.

Think of it this way, Will Ferrell (LeBron/Kobe/Wade) can be ridiculously funny in a dominating lead role, like Anchorman. Where Ben Stiller (Nash/Billups) is more of a situationly funny guy. He needs the right cast and script like a Dodgeball or Meet the Parents to be hilarious (If you don't think this is true watch the abomination that is the movie 'Envy').

It's a fun but pointless argument really. All that really matters is that the Detroit Pistons show up to play tonight and don't disappointingly end the season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home